Blog #2

                                        Jill Halbert on Twitter: "Are you informed on STI's? Check out ...
Becoming a parent in the future is one of the things I hope to have the opportunity to do. Growing up, I had an amazing example of parents and I aspire to have their parenting style for my future children. So having a pre-teen is a big deal, especially when it comes to serious talks. "The talk" is one of the main conversations I want to have with my children. I want it to be their father and me, in our home, with open arms about everything. The reason why I want to have the talk with my pre-teen so they understand the differences from facts and myths about sex and also to make sure they aren't learning things from their friends and/or social media. By having this conversation with my pre-teen, I want to make sure they initially know that they can ask or tell me anything regarding sex. As a parent, I think it's important to lay out all the good and bad things about sex. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (2020), the Health Education Curriculum Analysis Tool (HECAT) Sexual Health Curriculum Guide was established to provide a sexual health curriculum teaching about abstinence, healthy relations, sexual violence, etc. for grades prek-12. The grade ranges are pretty wide, and I personally think this curriculum should be specifically for grades 7-12th. For pre-teens, the HECAT is referring to teach this age group about "engaging in behaviors the prevent or reduce sexually transmitted diseases...engage in behaviors that prevent or reduce unintended pregnancy." (CDC, 2012, para 2). 
           Although sexual education in school enforces abstinence, that's not the only thing my child is going to learn about. Because the use of social media is so heavy in pre-teens, it's hard to censor what my child can see and not see. Even if I did try to censor what they see, their friends can always tell them their version of things. The first thing I would recommend parents to do is to find all information regarding sexual education and come up with information that's easy for kids to understand and refer to. The first website I recommend is the CDC. The CDC provides information about sexual health, reproductive health, healthy pregnancy, etc that I think will be great to pull a few facts from there to teach. Another website that I found to have good information is Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood provides information regarding everything about sexual health and resources to receive help if your teen has any issues. 
        I think in today's society, it's important to be open and transparent with your teens about things. Sometimes parents may get questions like "What are STDs?". The parent's response can be as simple as, "STDs are sexually transmitted infections that can be spread through sexual activity with an infected partner. There are many types of STDs that are from via bacteria, and need medication to treat.". Responses can be as simple as that, and also inform the pre-teen about the different type of STI's that can be contracted. When I was younger, my parents showed me a couple of videos about puberty and sexual health, and explained how they tie into each other. If a parent can not explain to their pre-teen about sexual health I recommend finding educational videos from youtube. Here are some that I think are informative:


Resource
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2012). HECAT: Module SH sexual health curriculum. https://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/hecat/pdf/hecat_module_sh.pdf

Comments

  1. Hey Girl! I really enjoyed your commentary on this topic. I'm really glad to see that you are also pursuing teaching your child more than abstinence only sexual education. Growing up in Oklahoma myself, this was common for us in school. Unfortunately my highschool class had a lot of teen pregnancies, and being a mom at fifteen is something I never want to see a child go through.

    I also think if we teach children younger than seventh grade about sexual health, maybe we can help children at home who are maybe being sexually abused and don’t understand what is happening to them? Just a thought! Overall, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there- I thought that was super cool that you chose the option to talk about sex ed with a preteen. I myself have two daughters ages 12 and 13. It is not easy to raise them up in todays society. One thing I do try to have is educated and honest conversations. I haven't talked to them specifically about sex yet but we will be having that talk. soon. This was practice. It is enjoyable to read the many perspectives. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kennedi,
    I agree that it is important to talk to your children about sex so that you can ensure thaty know what is true and what is a myth. I am grateful that I had parents that talked to me starting at a young age so that when I was old enough to understand things or start having conversations with my friend I was able to know what was true and what was not. If I was ever unsure about something that I had heard from my friends I would go home and ask my parents so that I could have the right information. I also think it is important for parents to have these conversations because I know personally there were a lot if things that my school's sex education course did not teach us such as contraceptives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Sex ed is very important and they need to put it back in the schools. Every child need to be educated on what, how, when, and prevention

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #3

Blog #1

Blog #5