Blog #1

After reading "We've Come a Long Way Baby," but We've Still Got Miles To Go" I learned more facts than what I've learned in the past. This PowerPoint provided a summary of woman's rights around the world and how they have progressed as years went on. The first thing that stood out to me was "9 out of 10 Sudanese women must undergo torture known as genital mutilation". So my first thought is why are women going through this genital mutilation when sperm, from males, is used to fertilize a woman's egg. As stated in the fact this is torture and inhumane for women even though it is considered a form of birth control. The second fact that surprised me was "HIV, Pregnancy and childbirth are the leading causes of death and disability for women ages 15-49 in most developing countries." Considering that our bodies are made to endure pregnancy and childbirth, the healthcare for those two things should be progressing has technology is improving. Although most developing countries do not have all the access need to provide better options for this care, if they are in connection with the World Health Organization, the organization should help provide more resources. Being apart of a population that has the highest deaths in pregnancy and childbirth, this makes me uneasy to have a child if people are not properly being treated.
One accomplishment of women that stood out to me was "Currently, 15 WORLD LEADERS are women.  This is only 10% of the world’s countries; however, the number of female leaders has doubled since 2000." (Geiger & Kent, 2017). Although this statistic only makes up 10% of the world countries, it's reassuring that we have female world leaders that can possibly defend and speak up for women's rights. Another accomplishment that stood out to me is "The United Nations adopted the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) in 1979 to protect and enforce the rights of women around the world". I never learned about this convention while learning about women's rights in the past. It's good to know this convention exists to help protect women's rights for every woman in the world.
After reading the PowerPoint, I feel that Women's health has progressed but we still have a lot of progress to make. The progress that needs to improve involves working to provide better rights and resources to developing countries. With more resources for these countries, it will help decrease high rates of diseases and causes of death. United Nations and World Health Organization need to work together to figure out what specific countries need to help their healthcare system with more resources. With the increasing use of technology in healthcare, it's important to try to use every resource to help developing countries with almost every type of healthcare possible. 






Resources:
Geiger, A. & Kent, L. (March 2017). Number of women leaders around the world is growing but they are still a small group. Available at: http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/03/08/women-leaders-around-the-world/
United Nations (2015). The Woman’s World.  Available at: https://unstats.un.org/unsd/gender/worldswomen.html
World Health Organization (2017). Maternal mortality factsheet. Available at: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs348/en/

Comments

  1. Hello Kennedi,

    I didn't chose option one to respond but your responses gave clarity of the powerpoint. I was surprised to hear about the traditional genital mutilation in Sudanese women. It's interesting how it is considered a form of birth control. I agree that it takes two to make a baby and that performing an inhumane method of birth control on women isn't necessary. According to WHO ( World Health Organization), this procedure causes many birthing complications and has no health benefits to women or girls (WHO, 2020).

    Reference

    WHO. (2020, February 3). Female genital mutilation. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/female-genital-mutilation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kennedi:

    Great post! I, too, chose to write my post based on the interesting information presented in the PowerPoint this week. It also resonated with me the information about the number of female world leaders there currently are. The fact that there is only 15 is disappointing to say the least. But I liked how you had mentioned that while this is only 10% of the worlds leaders, this is showing a change in how the world is being ran and how, in the future, there is hope for more significant changes in women's rights and policies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kennedi!

    I also read through this power point and I both shocked and horrified at the acts committed against women around the world. I was very encouraged to see that the CEDAW treaty was being adopted in many countries but it also left me with a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth seeing that it was brought about only in 1979. I was also very impressed by the amount of women leaders that are coming into power. I think this really showed how much work still needs to be done it created equality for both genders but how much work has already been done. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kennedi,

    I didn't choose option one so I was curious to read someone's response to it. Genital mutilation is an awful practice! It violates women's rights and robs them of the ability to make decisions about what happens to their own bodies. It is deeply rooted in gender inequality and it's horrifying to me that there are communities of people who continue to practice it today.

    It amazing that this is only the first week of class and it's already making us really think about the health care and practices that women are on the receiving end of. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Kennedi!

    I actually did not do this option for my blog post. I choose the quiz option but after reading this, I definitely want to review the power point. It seems very informative. I did not know that about Sudanese women. I remember watching an episode of "The Good Doctor" and there was a similar situation. The young girl had been mutilated at a very young age and she went to one of the doctors on the show for assistance. She wanted her lady parts to look more normal and she wanted to feel sexual pleasure. The doctor was very passionate about about trying to help her, however, there was a strong influence from the girls parents. I believe on the show these were Kenyans. The doctors ended up performing the surgery and did both options without parental consent. It was very new for me to learn about that especially from a drama show. It was heavy stuff. I am looking forward to reviewing the powerpoint to learn more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog #3

Blog #5